Sunday, October 22, 2006

Resigned about signs is a signal

My response to Mr. Berry:

I love this. It is all too true. Did you know I got an email from a candidate responding to a column with a quote from his campaign flyer, WHICH WAS STILL NOT PRINTED. Candidates are disorganized. I swear the signs are going up very slowly. But it may be a sign of the type of candidates were are getting this round. This is not the usual sophisticated politicos with highly organized teams. I think there are quite a few who are just struggling to run. The incumbents will have help. Delanty most likely has a team working with him. I bet there is even a sign committee or a coordinator who just looks after signs. I bet if you checked it out, you would find, he and Brocanier are the only ones. Maybe Williams. McCaughey is another who is likely highly organized and I know he has run campaigns before, not just for himself, but others. Spooner often get some experienced help. In the past, Gary O’Dwyer has done this.

More upsetting than your sign query is the lack of debates. I understand the only one is the Chamber of Commerce, which Loyalist is not broadcasting over the web this time. I have a late night class so it cannot be done. This is most unfair and leaves little chance for voters to see the candidates. This means the campaign is based on signs (which you have pointed out are problematic) and door knocking, or a retail campaign. With the large numbers of voters who will not be home, this reduces the campaign down to a popularity contest, with no room to see or learn who is best.

This is a sad time for democracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home